[B-Greek] PARESTIKTAI

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Wed Jul 28 17:16:23 EDT 2010

On Jul 28, 2010, at 4:00 PM, Daniel Buck wrote:

> List,
>
> I ran across a mention in Bloomfield's marginal notes on John 7:53ff of a siglum
> found in some mss, "π_τ (παρέστικται)."
> What does this word mean?

My guess is that it's a perfect passive of παραστίζω [PARASTIZW] which should mean "place a line/mark alongside." This is what was done by Alexandrian textual critics to mark what they deemed spurious passages, the mark in question being called an ὀβελός [OBELOS]. This seems confirmed by the entry for OBELOS in LSJ -- n.b. the final part of the entry:

ὀβελ-ός, Dor. ὀδελός, ὁ,
spit
ὀ. λίθινος [OBELOS LIQINOS] pointed square pillar, obelisk, Hdt.2.111, 170, Jul.Ep.59.
horizontal line,—(representation of an arrow acc. to Isid.Etym.1.21.3), used as a critical mark to point out that a passage was spurious, Gal.15.110, Luc.Pr.Im.24, Sch.Il. ip.xliii Dind. ; with an asterisk to denote misplaced lines, ibid. ; but with one point below and one above, <*>, ὀ. περιεστιγμένος [OBELOS PERIESTIGMENOS], in texts of Plato, denoted τὰς εἰκαίους ἀθετήσεις [TAS EIKAIOUS AQETHSEIS], D.L.3.66.

Of course, the text thus marked in the margine is the account of the woman taken in adultery.