[B-Greek] the meaning of salt in Mat 5:13

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Tue Jul 20 07:17:53 EDT 2010

When a word like "salt" is used as a metaphor, the
meaning needs to be extracted from much more than the word itself, including
underlying words in Hebrew and Aramaic as well as symbolic meanings of salt in
the OT.

The usage of μωραίνω MWRAINW in this verse is interesting. It probably reflects
Hebrew taphel which has the double meaning of tasteless and foolish.

Salt may stand for commitment and devotion to God as well as the wisdom that
comes from hearing God speaking. If the disciples lose that aspect, they have
become foolish and useless.

Iver Larsen