[B-Greek] John 14:30b what sense?

James Ernest j.d.ernest at bc.edu
Sun Aug 15 02:22:59 EDT 2010

Oun,

I think you have to look at John 14:31 along with John 14:30:

οὐκέτι πολλὰ λαλήσω μεθ΄ ὑμῶν͵

ἔρχεται γὰρ ὁ τοῦ κόσμου ἄρχων·

  καὶ ἐν ἐμοὶ οὐκ ἔχει οὐδέν͵

  ἀλλ΄

  ἵνα γνῷ ὁ κόσμος ὅτι

     ἀγαπῶ τὸν πατέρα͵

       καὶ

     καθὼς ἐνετείλατο μοι ὁ πατήρ

     οὕτως ποιῶ

ἐγείρεσθε͵ ἄγωμεν ἐντεῦθεν.

Why should Jesus and his disciples rise up and move compliantly onward
toward the passion when the ARCWN approaches? Not because the ARCWN has any
claim on Jesus, but so that the world will know that Jesus (1) loves the
father and (2) does just as the father commanded him (KAQWS / hOUTWS). (This
is not the only way of construing the relationship between AGWMEN ENTEUQEN,
but it makes as much sense to me as the alternative, seen e.g. in the NRSV.)

The Latin "Nullum scilicet omnino peccatum" (Augustine, On John, 95)
interprets the OUDEN in EN EMOI OUK ECEI OUDEN as "that is to say, no sin
whatsoever."

> Yeah, in me he has nothing to find
This appears to translate the variant found in D, OUK ECEI OUDEN hEUREIN.

James Ernest