[B-Greek] Matthew 26:13 Jesus is the victory

Doug Knighton douglas.knighton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 13:14:12 EDT 2010

Brothers,

This seems more like a hermeneutical question than one of understanding
Greek. But it seems worthwhile of the effort to understand Jesus' reference.

Earlier in Matthew's text, we find the phrase TOUTO TO EUAGGELION once in
24:14. There it is directly linked with the phrase THS BASILEIAS. The phrase
TO EUAGGELION THS BASILEIAS occurs in the context of Jesus' preaching
ministry two other times (4:23; 9:25; cf. 10:7). So it seems that for
Matthew, when Jesus refers to the (this) gospel, he has in mind the good
news that the Kingdom of God has come. So Mark seems correct in
understanding that TOUTO has "some force for Matthew," but we would do well
to see that he's already given us clues for construing what that force is.

Respectully,

Doug Knighton, Ch Col USAF (Ret)