[B-Greek] Matthew 26:13 Jesus is the victory

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 09:45:54 EDT 2010

Joshua asked:

<Does the TOUTO refer to Jesus POINTING TO HIMSELF????  O_o>

Hi, Joshua,

I think it could, yes.  I've read this passage in Greek many times and without
really thinking about, I assumed that the TOUTO referred to "this here Gospel
that we have been talking about," but I like your take better.  To make this
more explicit, τουτί (TOUTI) could have been used.  I note that (in most
manuscripts) Mark just has TO EUAGGELION, so the TOUTO probably had
some force for Matthew.

<Jesus can't possibly be referring to the writing of Matthew as being  "this
EUAGGELION" or this story about some girl washing his feet as  being "THIS
EUAGGLEION" can he O_o ?>

Nothing is impossible with God or GNT exegesis, but I would say the former is
unlikely and
the later is quite possible.

Somebody asked a while back for the best Greek Grammatical Commentary on Mark.
My answer would be that the best Greek Commentary on any NT book is B-Greek,
because
you can talk back to it.   I really like TOUTO TO LOGION SOU, Joshua.

Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS