[B-Greek] Translate Sprechen Sie Attich (Greek Phrasebook) into English?

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Mon Aug 2 14:30:58 EDT 2010

On Aug 2, 2010, at 2:20 PM, Randall Buth wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:08 PM, George F Somsel <gfsomsel at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> So far I don't see any evidence that the intent was to use only expressions
>> current in the 1st cent.  It would seem from his mention of Aristophanes and
>> Plato in the introduction that it is geared more toward classical Greek than
>> koine.
>>

> yes, even those need checking.
> And Louis' intention is as Koine resource.

If that be the case, then the project has no point. Eduard Johnson intended to
make this a pedagogical instrument for Attic Greek. If Louis is looking for a
"pure" Koine Umgangsprache, that's a different matter. I'd be perfectly happy
to English it as it stands and let someone else filter it for "pure" Koine if there
really is such an animal.

CW Conrad