[B-Greek] Question about HLQON vs HLQAN, and EIPON vs EIPAN, etc.

Sarah Madden sarah.r.madden at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 13:45:12 EDT 2010

To all --
While I was tutoring students Monday night, one man (a lawyer!) asked why
"HLQAN" is parsed as Aor Act Ind 3P, where it does not fit the expected
"pattern" of a 2nd aorist (with imperfect endings) or a liquid aorist (drops
the sigma).

I noticed that often two forms for the same word appear in the same NT book.
Frequency numbers are from Tony Fisher's site (only because it's easy
to use) and might not be totally accurate.

*For ERCOMAI:*

HLQON occurs 43x (e.g., Luke 2:44)
HLQAN occurs 5x (Luke 2:16; John 1:39, 4:27; Acts 12:10, 28:15)

*The same thing occurs with LEGW:*

EIPON occurs 26x (e.g., Matt 12:24)
EIPAN occurs 121x (e.g., Magg 3:9)

*Then there's hORAW:*

EIDON occurs 22x (e.g., Matt 17:8)
EIDAN occurs 5x (e.g., Matt 13:17)

I know *how* to parse HLQAN and EIPAN -- but I can't explain the
*reason*(not that I myself need a reason, but I'd like to give this
lawyer an
answer). Ideas?

--
Sarah ><>