[B-Greek] 2 Peter 1:1

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 23:06:03 EDT 2010

George wrote

<The question is how the rest of the sentence is to be construed.  Is it
the object of the faith
 or is faith received by the instrument of
δικαιοσύνῃ τοῦ θεοῦ ... DIKAIOSUNHi TOU QEOU ... ?  What is δικαιοσύνῃ
DIKAIOSUNHi ? >

Hi, George,

It would not have occurred to me to take DIKAIOSUNHi in any way other than instrumentally, but now that you mention
it, it could be faith IN the righteousness of God.  This is the idea, I guess, behind the variant reading EIS DIKAIOSUNHN.
As it almost always does, the Modern Greek removes the ambiguity:  DIA THS DIAKAISUNHS TOU QEOU.

But to answer Greg's original question, no I don't think the grammar of this sentence would allow anything like
"have received the righteousness of God through faith."  If you go with the variant reading, the closest you could come
is "have received faith as or for (EIS) the righteousness of God," but even this would be far-fetched.

 Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS