[B-Greek] Lexicographer reviews one: Danker on Muraoka

Yancy Smith yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 13 15:10:38 EDT 2010

Well, I should say a light may have gone off in Mark's comment! But I'm not
sure which way the switch went. To use another metaphor, a lexicographer's
work is like a map, but map is not territory. Reading and communicating in
context is the territory. Anyone who has ventured into the LXX without a
lexicon is grateful when someone points out one of these maps. It sheds some
light along the way. It comes in handy. Reading again and again can
sometimes be like walking in circles ... in the dark. Lexica have their
limitations, but I wouldn't want to try to read a difficult text, say, like
Eusebius, The Preparation of the Gospel, without the help of Lampe, or the
Wisdom of Solomon without the help of either of the modern LXX lexica.

Yancy