[B-Greek] prepositions and cases - Silvia Luraghi 2003

Michael Aubrey mga318 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 22:24:15 EDT 2010

Elizabeth is close when she writes, "I wonder what sort of problems one will introduce into their "framework" by assuming that the semantic roles for cases and prepositions have
*all* been derived metaphorically from spacial relationships"

But what needs to be changed is the "have *all* been derived" to "are all derived." Fundamentally speaking, Luraghi is making a claim about how humans cognitively connect things in their minds. This is far more Lakoff than Fillmore with a little bit of Martin Haspelmath and Ronald Langacker thrown in. The idea of cognitive space is discussed here (“The geometry of grammatical meaning: Semantic maps and cross-linguistic
comparison.” In: Tomasello, Michael (ed.) The new psychology of language, vol. 2. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 211-242:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/lingua/staff/haspelmath/publications_haspelmath.php ). While the concept of semantic roles originated with Fillmore, cognitive linguistics has taken in new directions.

Anyway, Luraghi gets more into the Classical period later on in the book and does indeed deal with the Hellenistic period in her final chapter.

Mike Aubrey
http://evepheso.wordpress.com

PS - I've blogged about Luraghi's book a few times, you could probably dig those posts up for more of my thoughts,