[B-Greek] Decker on why to learn Greek

Patrick Narkinsky patrick at narkinsky.com
Wed Apr 7 15:56:10 EDT 2010

I'd like to offer my own humble observations on why I study NT Greek, from
one who is a "little Greek" indeed when compared to most others on this
list:

   1. I study it so that I know about the "neglected alternatives" that
   translators necessarily have to reject based on a statistical choice.  For
   example, "faith of Jesus" as opposed to "faith in Jesus" may or may not be
   the preferred translation in certain passages, but if I only read in English
   I'd never know that a choice had to be made.  It's not that they're
   necessarily true, but I could build my whole theology on one interpretive
   choice that was only 60% right without ever knowing it might be wrong.
   2. I study it for the poetry and the flow of it.  "Biblish" just sounds
   horrible when compared to the original.
   3. I study it in self-defense, so that I'm not at the mercy of someone
   who *has* studied it--or more often has a copy of Strong's and
   Vine's--and wants to claim, "but the Greek really says" in support of
   whatever aberrant interpretation they might have to offer.
   4. I study it because it's an interesting intellectual challenge*,
*worthwhile
   in its own right.
   5. I study it as an exercise in humility, in order to constantly remind
   myself of what I do not and cannot know.  I think it was Wallace who said he
   knew maybe 50% of the Greek known by a dock-worker at Athens, or words to
   that effect.  After 10 years of work, I know maybe 5%.  How then can I
   propose to pound my Bible and pronounce authoritatively what it says?
    (Incidentally, I find myself becoming more and more paleo-Orthodox because
   of this.  Sorry to bring my personal theology up, but in this context I
   think theology is at least somewhat relevant to the topic at hand.)

As a consequence of all of this, and because I'm of mildly post-modern
sensibilities, I often find discussion of technical grammatical issues ...
shall we say uninspiring?  I really am much more interested in developing
fluency than in developing analytic skills.

Thanks for listening to this "little Greek",

Patrick

--
Patrick Narkinsky
patrick at narkinsky.com

"Let things true be preferred to things false, things eternal to things
momentary, things useful to things agreeable."

Lucius Caelius Lactantius