[B-Greek] FOBOS in Eph 5-6

Alia Duffy alia.duffy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 15:42:32 EDT 2010

One part of what we are dealing with here is that English as a living
language is changing even within the present generation. For many young
people today "fear" means a disgusting or evil object, total alienation
between the subject and the object, and is generally bad. As someone raised
on KJV I find "Fear and trembling" natural and understandable but wound not
say in a political debate "I fear the death penalty" as an indication I
supported the death penalty as a dis-incentive but only if I was against the
death penalty. And I know some of my friends from a less "old school church"
background do find the phrase "fear and trembling" genuinely confusing."
It's not a common experience these days to encounter some that is both
admirable or good for you and that might kill you. I do think it sad
that with these days of gated communities and an OHSA regulation for every
situation English is losing the concept of a reverent awe combined with an
ice in the belly caution. However, it is the translator's primary
responsibility to use language as it is actually understood by their target
audience and not as it ideally should be understood.

-Alia Duffy