[B-Greek] Mark 7:18-19 Syntax

Donald Cobb docobb at orange.fr
Fri Oct 30 01:33:53 EDT 2009

If we retained the neutral KAQARIZON, I would find it extremely
difficult, in terms of meaning, to connect it with PAN TO EKSWTHEN in v.
18 or with the understood subject of the verbs in v. 19: "For it
enters... into the bellly and goes out into the latrine, purifying all
foods". IMO, the sentence thus understood is nonsensical; can we say
that the food that enters, etc., pronounces all foods clean?

I don't think that turning into a question, as does NA, gives a good
meaning, either.

If we chose to retain the neutral, I think we would have to understand
the subject as an unexpressed relative, hO, hOTI or something along
those lines, and paraphrase: "This statement of Jesus pronounced all
foods pure."

The neutral is not extremely well attested in the mss, and there are
several different readings for this word (cf. le critical app.); the
multiplicity of readings is most surely the sign of scribes grappling
with a difficult text. I wonder if the difficulty of having a neutral
participle with an unexpressed subject did not occasion various
"improvements", among other things putting a masc. participle in the
place of the neutral, like in Mt.

Donald Cobb
Aix-en-Provence, France