[B-Greek] "Take it as it comes ... "

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Thu Oct 29 08:22:02 EDT 2009

Michael Gilleland, old curmudgeon, "Laudator temporis acti," has a
nice postt this morning knocking one of my pet peeves -- reading Greek
as "decoding" a cryptographic text.

"One of my Greek teachers used to say, at least once during every
class, "Take it as it comes," by which he meant, "Try to understand
the Greek words in the order in which they appear." Years later, I am
still trying to follow this wise counsel. My natural tendency is not
to "take it as it comes," but to skip around, to find the main clause
with subject and verb first. ... "

It's at:
http://laudatortemporisacti.blogspot.com/2009/10/take-it-as-it-comes.html
= http://turl.ca/skqx