[B-Greek] Genre & Grounding

Richard Ghilardi qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
Mon Oct 19 22:27:28 EDT 2009

Hello Folks,

> JOHN 19:12 EK TOUTOU hO PILATOS EZHTEI APOLUSAI AUTON· hOI DE
> IOUDAIOI
> EKRAUGASAN LEGONTES· EAN TOUTON APOLUSHiS, OUK EI FILOS TOU
> KAISAROS·
> PAS hO BASILEA hEAUTON POIWN ANTILEGEI TWi KAISARI > .

I would agree with the consensus of the list that EK TOYTOY here is
causal. But the MG renderings are divided between causal and temporal:

1) Causal - BELLAS - (quoted by Mark Lightman previously) DI' AYTON TON
LOGON EZHTOYSE hO PILATOS NA TON APOLYSHi - Because of this remark Pilate
sought to release him

2) Temporal - BAMBAS - EKTOTE EZHTEI hO PILATOS NA APOLYSHi AYTON -
Thence Pilate sought to release him

3) Temporal - IWANNIDHS - APO TH STIGMH POY TA AKOYSE AYTA O PILATOS,
ANAZHTOYSE TROPO NA TON AFHSEI ELEYQERO - The moment Pilate heard this,
he looked for some way to set him free

It is significant, I think, that BAMBAS, whose version precedes that of
BELLAS, and IWANNIDHS, whose work follows BELLAS, agree on the temporal
meaning. It seems that the temporal meaning has gained renewed acceptence
among many modern Greeks.

Yours in His grace,

Richard Ghilardi - qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
West Haven, Connecticut USA