[B-Greek] 1 Thessalonians 4:16

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 14 13:02:37 EDT 2009

On Oct 13, 2009, at 8:55 PM, Leonard Jayawardena wrote:

> hOTI AUTOS hO KURIOS EN KELEUSMATI EN FWNH ARCAGGELOU KAI EN
> SALPIGGI QEOU KATABHSETAI....
>
> Is there any grammatical objection to taking EN KELEUSMATI, EN FWNH
> ARCAGGELOU and EN SALPIGGI QEOU as being in apposition to one
> another? That is, EN KELEUSMATI = EN FWNH ARCAGGELOU = EN SALPIGGI
> QEOU.
>

> Leonard Jayawardena

re: the terminology

The term apposition as Defined by David Crystal requires that the
constituents in apposition have indignity of reference (be
coreferential) e.g. "My Husband, John Smith came through the door."
Crystal goes on to point out that there are "many theoretical and
methodological problems in defining the notion of apposition ...".
This is reflected in the greek grammars which don't do not always use
the term in exactly the same way.

re: the text
> EN KELEUSMATI, EN FWNH ARCAGGELOU and EN SALPIGGI QEOU

Are not coreferential, the have different referents, all of which may
be a component of some larger more complex referent but that doesn't
make them coreferential. On the other hand, if we were to read them as
metaphors pointing to the same event then I guess one could say the
are coreferential but I would avoid applying the term apposition here
because it raises more problems that it solves.

Elizabeth Kline