[B-Greek] Rom 10:3

John Wilking jcwilking at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 11 19:19:13 EDT 2009

--- On Sun, 10/11/09, Carl Conrad <cwconrad2 at mac.com> wrote:

From: Carl Conrad <cwconrad2 at mac.com>
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] Rom 10:3
To: "John Wilking" <jcwilking at yahoo.com>
Cc: b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 12:10 PM

On Oct 11, 2009, at 10:05 AM, John Wilking wrote:

> I'm trying to make sense of KAI THN IDIAN ZHTOUNTES STHSAI.  If we pick up DIKAIOSUNHN from the previous clause we are left with STHSAI THN IDIAN DIKAIOSUNHN.  Does something like this occur elsewhere?

The full text: Rom. 10:3 ἀγνοοῦντες γὰρ τὴν τοῦ θεοῦ δικαιοσύνην καὶ τὴν ἰδίαν [δικαιοσύνην] ζητοῦντες στῆσαι, τῇ δικαιοσύνῃ τοῦ θεοῦ οὐχ ὑπετάγησαν. [AGNOOUNTES GAR THN TOU QEOU DIKAIOSUNHN KAI THN IDIAN [DIKAIOSUNHN] ZHTOUNTES STHSAI, THi DIKAIOSUNHi TOU QEOU OUC hUPETAGHSAN. ]

It's not altogether clear what it is you are asking. Is it, "What does STHSAI THN IDIAN DIKAIOSUNHN mean?" I'd say that the sense is something like "set up their own notion of what is fair" or "set up their own notion of what is right." Paul Tillich once suggested a trichotomy of "autonomy," "heteronomy," and "theonomy." In terms of that
STHSAI THN IDIAN DIKAIOSUNHN might be equivalent to Tillich's term "autonomy," which I take to mean observance of principles that one chooses for him or herself rather than abiding by principles proposed by God.

The nearest equivalent

JCW  Or instances of similar structure that use different abstract nouns as a way of getting a handle on the semantics of the verb hISTHMI.  For example, does something like STHSAI THN IDIAN KPISIN occur anywhere?

 to the phrase in question that I find in the GNT is Mark 7:9 καὶ ἔλεγεν αὐτοῖς· καλῶς ἀθετεῖτε τὴν ἐντολὴν τοῦ θεοῦ, ἵνα τὴν παράδοσιν ὑμῶν στήσητε. [KAI ELEGEN AUTOIS· KALWS AQETEITE THN ENTOLHN TOU QEOU, hINA THN PARADOSIN hUMWN STHSHTE. ], something like, "You've got a neat way of nullifying God's commandment so as to put your own tradition in place."