[B-Greek] Romans 11: who is you?

Aaron Marshall greekmeister1 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 10 11:34:27 EDT 2009

Paul is quite fond of using imaginary debaters as a rhetorical device.  Throughout the chapter (and book for that matter) this imaginary conversation partner asks him questions or makes statements(vss. 1, 11, 19).  In verse 2 Paul uses the 2nd person singular OIDATE in apparent reference to this imaginary partner (H OUK OIDATE EN HLIA TI LEGEI hH GRAFH).  He does the same thing in vs. 19 with EIREIS, also 2nd person singular of LEGW.  Robertson (pgs. 402, 678) seems to imply this is a representative use of the 2nd person singular (referring to one member of a class of people).  In the context of his statement in vs. 13 (hUMIN DE LEGW TOIS EQNESIN), I think it's logical to conclude that Paul is referring to the Gentile Christians using the singular pronoun representatively.  In other words, he's pretending to carry on a dialogue with a Gentile Christian.

Aaron Marshall