[B-Greek] Meaning/application of TO AUTO ("the same") in 1 Cor 10:3-4

Eric S. Weiss papaweiss1 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 21:31:15 EDT 2009

Yes, there is a Greek translational meaning and syntax/grammar question in there!

My Greek question is whether the vocabulary or syntax Paul is using in 1 Cor 10:3-4, and
in the context of 1 Cor 10 (as wall as 8-14) precludes TO AUTO perhaps also meaning that
Paul is saying that the Israelites partook of "the same" spiritual/Spirit-provided food as the
Corinthian Christians do at the Lord's Table.

As I said, the default understanding to me would be that Paul is saying that ALL the
Israelites ate "the same" thing, and not that what they at that time ate and drank was in a
sense (real or typologically) "the same" thing that Christians now partake of and partake in
during at the Lord's Table.

But because I think this second meaning is possible, I wanted to know if the way Paul
says this in the Greek precludes such an alternate or additional understanding of the
meaning of TO AUTO here.

Thanks!

- - -
Eric S. Weiss