[B-Greek] Euripides : AFRODITH... EPISHMOS EN BROTOIS

Stephen C. Carlson scarlson at mindspring.com
Tue May 19 13:40:30 EDT 2009

Thanks, Carl, for alerting me to this.

I revisited this question in a seminar on Romans at Duke last
Fall.

Based on the examples adduced in the Linda Belleville article
in NTS, I have now come to the opinion that the construction
is grammatically ambiguous as to whether the apostles of Rom
16:7 either included or excluded Andronicus and Junias.  Both
Burer/Wallace and Belleville have legitimate examples favoring
their own position, but they both fail to discount the others'
own examples.  Thus, I see no way to resolve the ambiguity,
without appealing to some background assumptions or knowledge
outside of the text.

Stephen

--
Stephen C. Carlson