[B-Greek] Definition of "parsing"

Nelson Kloosterman ndkloosterman at gmail.com
Thu May 14 12:32:33 EDT 2009

Dear list,

I invite you to referee a quiet discussion on the definition of "parsing."

I had included on my course exam a section for identifying Greek words in a
passage, a list of  verbs, pronouns, and nouns. In my instructions, I asked
the student to "parse" the words supplied. Some students understood the
requirement to "parse" to mean "identify a verb." They therefore
misidentified the masculine singular accusative pronoun of HOS, thinking it
was a form of the verb EIMI.

Dan McCartney's glossary in the back of the latest edition of Machen's New
Testament Greek for Beginners defines parsing as identifying verbs.

In your working with Greek, does the English verb "to parse" properly refer
to "identify the form of Greek nouns and pronouns" as well as Greek verbs?
If not, what English verb would you use to describe such a mixed list?

It's worth only four points on the exam, so don't spend lots of time on
this.

Just curious.

Nelson Kloosterman
Professor of Ethics and New Testament Studies
Mid-America Reformed Seminary
Dyer, IN