[B-Greek] Jude 2

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Nov 28 14:10:59 EST 2008

On Nov 28, 2008, at 1:52 PM, rhutchin at aol.com wrote:

> (a) You are correct.? Misspelled by me (but not on purpose).
>
> (b)? I don't know.
>
> 2 John 1:3 has ESTAI MEQ hHMWN CARIS ELEOS EIRHNH... without the
> conjunction (also 1 Tim 1:2, 2 Tim 1:2, and Titus 1:4, all of which
> have the same basic phrase).? Could the author have written, ESTAI
> MEQ hHMWN CARIS KAI ELEOS KAI EIRHNH... ?? Is there anything to be
> gained by leaving out or inserting? KAI in this instance?? Is there
> a purpose for Jude to use KAI where Paul/John do not do so?

Yes, I see that the asyndetic grouping does indeed appear 3x, as you
indicate, in 1 Tim 1:2, 2 Tim 1:2. and 2 John 1:3. On the other hand,
Titus 1:4 has only CARIS KAI EIRHNH, not ELEOS. For my part, I would
not attach any more significance to the polysyndetic group than to the
asyndetic group.

> Should I take the wording of 2 John 1:3 (or Timothy/Titus) to mean
> that the author wants us to read these three as the same (if only in
> the context used)?

I would NOT want to suppose that the three are the same, but rather
that they fall within the same sphere.

> (c) OK.? I suspect this is an exegetical issue.

Well, it doesn't really seem relevant to me.