[B-Greek] PEPRAKEN in Mt 13:46

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon May 5 16:14:19 EDT 2008

Here's another message meant for the list but mis-sent to the wrong
list address.
========
From: "Daniel, Robert S" <rob.daniel at hp.com>
Date: May 5, 2008 3:38:40 PM EDT
To: "b-greek-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org" <b-greek-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Matt. 13:46

Hi, Matt 13:46 uses the word PEPRAKEN which I think is the perfect of
PRASSW. All the translations I can find translate it as "sold" but all
the lexicons I can find say that it means "to do" or "practice" but
may also mean collect, as of taxes or interest. Is the passage
actually saying that the man in the parable went and collected all the
money that people owed to him in order to buy the precious pearl? Or
is that he is practicing his merchant's trade and liquidating his
stock? Or does PEPRAKA actually mean "sold", and my lexicons just
don't reflect that? Or am I getting confused about something?

Rob Daniel
Colorado
=========
PEPRAKEN in Mt 13:46 is perfect tense 3 sg. active from PIPRASKW; the
root is PRA; the verb means "sell"; the root of PRASSW ("do,"
"perform," "enact")  is PRAG; the perfect stem is PEPRAC-.