[B-Greek] "The lexicon is wrong!"

Jonathan Robie jwrobie at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 25 13:11:16 EDT 2007

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2007, at 9:00 AM, frjsilver at optonline.net wrote:
>
>> Consider TRAPEZA in Acts 6.  Traditionally, it was thought that the
>> apostles were 'waiting tables' at the expense of their time and
>> energy which should have been devoted to preaching and teaching, so
>> they asked the Church to select seven deacons to take over the menial
>> work.
>> The apostles weren't waiting tables;  they were administering the
>> common fund, and being overwhelmed by that task to the point that
>> their preaching suffered.

As Carl's excerpts show, this is in the standard lexicons. and LSJ isn't
exactly recent.

>> Does anyone appreciate the significance of the fact that all seven of
>> the first deacons have Greek names?!

That's not mentioned in the lexicons, because it doesn't belong in them,
but the commentaries certainly pick up on this.

> Or that the only work that Acts tells us of the seven actually doing
> is proclamation of the gospel to Greek-speaking audiences rather than
> EITHER waiting tables OR financial administration of ecclesiastical
> funds?

Hmmm, now *that* I hadn't thought about .... but then again, who
mentions the accountants in a history of any organization (except Enron ...)

Jonathan