[B-Greek] PSALLW (was RE: "The lexicon is wrong!")

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Sep 25 10:18:08 EDT 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 9:03 AM, Perry Stepp wrote:

> An example that I have personally encountered has to do with the
> meaning of
> PSALLW.
>
> My friends in the non-instrumental Churches of Christ have
> consistently
> argued that, in the New Testament period, PSALLW referred to
> unaccompanied
> (i.e., a capella) singing, and NOT singing accompanied by stringed
> instruments.
>
> My understanding is that the green BAGD (2nd edition) reflects this
> view.
> I'm not sure about BDAG.
>
> (I, shamefaced, admit that I do not have the 2nd OR the 3rd
> edition.  I've
> always been satisfied with old blue, and bothered my colleagues when I
> needed the newer editions.)

BDAG:
ψάλλω (YALLW) fut. ψαλῶ (YALW) (Aeschyl.+; ins, LXX;
TestAbr A 20 p. 103, 26f [Stone p. 54]; TestJob 14:2, 4; Jos., Ant.
11, 67; 12, 349; Just.; Mel., P. 80, 588; Did.) in our lit., in
accordance w. OT usage, to sing songs of praise, with or without
instrumental accompaniment, sing, sing praise w. dat. of the one for
whom the praise is intended τῷ ὀνόματί σου ψαλῶ
(TWi ONOMATI SOU YALW) Ro 15:9 (Ps 17:50). ψαλλῶ σοι (YALLW
SOI) B 6:16 (Ps 107:4). τῷ κυρίῳ (TWi KURIWi) Eph 5:19: in
this pass. a second dat. is added τῇ καρδίᾳ ὑμῶν
(YALLW THi KARDIAi hUMWN) in or with your hearts; here YALLW is found
with ᾄδω (AiDW) (as Ps 26:6; 32:3; 56:8), and the question arises
whether a contrast betw. the two words is intended. The original mng.
of YALLW was ‘pluck’, ‘play’ (a stringed instrument); this
persisted at least to the time of Lucian (cp. Par. 17). In the LXX
YALLW freq. means ‘sing’, whether to the accompaniment of an
instrument (Ps 32:2, 97:5 al.) or not, as is usually the case (Ps
7:18; 9:12; 107:4 al.). This focus on singing continued until YALLW
in Mod. Gk. means ‘sing’ exclusively; cp. ψάλτης (YALTHS)
=singer, chanter, w. no ref. to instrumental accompaniment. Although
the NT does not voice opposition to instrumental music, in view of
Christian resistance to mystery cults, as well as Pharisaic aversion
to musical instruments in worship (s. EWerner, art. ‘Music’, IDB
3, 466–69), it is likely that some such sense as make melody is best
understood in this Eph pass. Those who favor ‘play’ (e.g. L-S-JM;
ASouter, Pocket Lexicon, 1920; JMoffatt, transl. 1913) may be relying
too much on the earliest mng. of ψάλλω (YALLW). ψ. τῷ
πνεύματι (YALLW TWi PNEUMATI) and in contrast to that ψ.
τῷ νοΐ (YALLW TWi NOI) sing praise in spiritual ecstasy and in
full possession of one’s mental faculties 1 Cor 14:15. Abs. sing
praise Js 5:13. WSmith, Musical Aspects of the NT, ’62; HSeidel, TRE
XXIII 441–46.—DELG. M-M. EDNT. TW. Sv.

I hardly think that the BDAG makes a definitive case for one or the
other, although it seems to favor the sense of unaccompanied singing.
How one ultimately prefers to understand it may have something to do
with one's assessment of the authorship and dating of Ephesians.