[B-Greek] why is uihothesia translated "adoption"?

Ann Nyland nyland at tsn.cc
Sun Oct 28 17:22:04 EDT 2007

They translate it that way as that is the correct and actual and literal
translation - "placing as an adult son" is not a literal translation at all,
and is wrong. (A Greek word is not the sum of its parts, read Carson's
Exegetical Fallacies, and HUOIS has a wider semantic range than 'son".).
This is not at all contentious in the scholarly literature, the meaning is
"adoption". It's a technical adoption term from Greek law. Some like Lyall
(in the 1960s) initally thought Paul's adoption references were from Roman
law, but this has been demonstrated not to be the case. HUIOS is actually
not a gender specific word, cf. P. Oxy. 9.1206; P. Oslo 3 P. Erlangen 28.6
among many others. HUIOTHESIA was used for both males and females - the word
TEKNOTHESIA for an adopted daugther doesn't appear until P.Oxy 3271.
Ann Nyland