[B-Greek] 2nd year NTG on my own

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Sun Oct 28 09:02:59 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elizabeth Kline" <kline_dekooning at earthlink.net>
To: "b-greek" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2007 11:34 PM
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] 2nd year NTG on my own

> On Oct 27, 2007, at 7:27 PM, Eric S. Weiss wrote:
>
>>  LEARN ATTIC GREEK
>
> Yes, you need to get outside the NT and LXX if you are going to make
> any progress.
> Right now I am reading mostly Thucydides (narrative) which is a lot
> easier than reading Sophocles.

But Sophocles is so much fun...  :)

I'm working through the venerable Crosby and Schaeffer with my high school
Greek students.  This text has readings from all over the Classical spectrum
and even includes some NT readings, but really prepares the student to read
Xenophon as their intermediate text.  I first read Thucydides in my second
semester beyond intermediate, and found it tough going, especially the
speech sections, but it all depends on the experience the reader brings to
the text.  Still, I might suggest Xenophon before Thucydides...

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Professor, WRTS
http://www.wittenbergreformed.org
Classics Instructor, TAA