[B-Greek] Discourse analysis (was Semantics)

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at sil.org
Mon Oct 15 02:09:01 EDT 2007

On Oct 14, 2007, at 9:31 AM, Elizabeth Kline wrote:

> In reference to SFL, I not sure that "register" and frame theory have
> much in common. SFL is a very different approach.

<snip>

On Oct 14, 2007, at 10:54 AM, cwestf5155 at aol.com wrote:
> >Your point about producing influential textbooks is well-taken.
> >We're working on it. Porter, Reed and O'Donnell are releasing their
> >first year grammar. I'm working on an "idiot's guide" to discourse
> >analysis with two students--hopefully that is accessible, though it
> >won't wear its sources on its sleeve.

>That is good news. I assume your "idiot's guide" to discourse
>analysis will be targeted at a different audience than SIL-UND.

Anyone wishing to read some guides to DA that could be used by students at
SIL-UND or elsewhere can check out the resources available at this url:
https://mail.jaars.org/~bt/files.htm

Especially note the materials by Stephen Levinsohn.

An intro. to Relevance Theory which Iver Larsen referred to in his latest
message is the work by Christoph Unger available at this url:
http://www.geocities.com/bible_translation/list/files/list.htm

Wayne
----
Wayne Leman
Better Bibles Blog:
http://englishbibles.blogspot.com

>would like to see see a sample chapter of Reed and O'Donnell,
>something that would both illustrate and explain their method.

Thank you,

Elizabeth Kline

  [1] Reed, Jeffrey T “A discourse analysis of Philippians”Sheffield
Academic Press, 1997, pps. 53-54