[B-Greek] What is "late pres"?

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 20:15:45 EDT 2007

Ummm, a dead President?

Seriously, by "late pres." I'm fairly sure that it refers to the fact that it is a present form which was developed later in the history of the language.  Note the [partial] entry in BDAG

στήκω [STHKW] (found ** first ** in the NT; in the LXX only as an untrustworthy v.l. [ADebrunner, GGA 1926, 146f], but also occurs TestSol; TestJob 26:6; Kaibel 970; Hippiatr. 69, 2 and 4 p. 269, 16; 270, 16; PGM 4, 923; 36, 273. A ** late formation ** fr. ἕστηκα [hESTHKA], the perf. of ἵστημι [hISTHMI], and used beside it; s. B-D-F §73; Mlt-H. 220; 259.—εστηκεν [ESTHKEN] J 8:44 is prob. the perf. of ἵστημι [hISTHMI], whether written ἕστ. [hEST.] or ἔστ. [EST.]; s. EAbbott, The Authorship of the 4th Gosp. and Other Critical Essays, 1888, 286–93; B-D-F §14; 73; 97, 1; difft. Rob. 224, after W-H.; s. also Mlt-H. 100. In Rv 12:4 the impf. ἔστηκεν [ESTHKEN] is prob. to be preferred to the perf. ἕστ. [hEST.]).

Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., & Bauer, W. (2000). A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature. "Based on Walter Bauer's Griechisch-deutsches Wr̲terbuch zu den Schriften des Neuen Testaments und der frhchristlichen [sic] Literatur, sixth edition, ed. Kurt Aland and Barbara Aland, with Viktor Reichmann and on previous English editions by W.F. Arndt, F.W. Gingrich, and F.W. Danker." (3rd ed.) (944). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

george
gfsomsel

defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus