[B-Greek] Jn 2.4 and translation practices

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 24 09:04:33 EST 2006

You are correct to a certain extent -- it is not a case of our sensitivities but a case of what would have been intended when it was written.  The problem lies in the fact that OUR language changes over time and that words have many different usages depending upon the context.  Let us get away from the passage in question for a moment.  It might be a fair assessment to say that my study is a shambles.  "Shambles:  informal -- a chaotic state."  When the translators of the AV translated Paul's First Epistle to the Corinthians, they used "shambles" to translate MAKELLON, a word derived from the Latin and meaning "meat market."  Thus the meaning of shambles has changed drastically over the intervening years.  Today it would not be good to translate MAKELLON as "shambles" since that is not the way the word "shambles" is used today.  It is not that MAKELLON has changed its meaning but rather that WE have changed.  Returning to our passage, do you consider that Jesus was showing
 a lack of respect for his mother?  Today is someone addresses a female as "woman", that is perceived as lacking respect.  If you think Jesus was being disrespectful, then you can continue to use "woman" as a translation.  If, however, you think he was not being disrespectful, you might want to find some other term.

george
gfsomsel
_________