[B-Greek] Reading aloud [Was (no subject)]

Steve Westfall steve.westfall at comcast.net
Sun Nov 5 02:36:22 EST 2006

Anthony,

You are conflating three distinct subjects here.

Students benefit from reading aloud regardless of which type of
pronunciation is used.  One does not have to employ Modern Greek
pronunciation to emphasize reading aloud.

I have no wish to prolong the interminable discussion about Modern versus
Erasmian versus Koine pronunciation that has dominated this list for the
last year or so.  This dead hobby horse has been flogged long enough.  (My
apologies for the mixed metaphors!)

Regarding the primacy of reading ability in pedagogy, those who insist on
teaching ancient Greek conversationally might take issue with you, but most
instruction in the real world does not use that approach.  For those taking
a traditional, non-conversational approach, I agree wholeheartedly with your
inductive approach, which is why I have been using the Athenaze textbook for
the Greek class that I'm teaching at my church.  Each chapter begins with a
vocabulary list and a reading passage which incorporates the new features of
grammar that only later are discussed in a deductive, systematic way.  I
find that the students are more highly motivated because they are actually
reading Greek, and when they do reach the systematic explanations they make
more sense because they have already encountered the new grammar in the
reading passages.

It should be noted that incorporating Greek composition into one's teaching
method does provide some of the same benefit that a conversational approach
gives, because both require that the student actively generate the language
rather than simply passively recognizing patterns.  Athenaze employs a
modest amount of Greek composition.

I would be interested in learning which textbooks you use that employ an
inductive approach.  Could you share that with the list?

Thank you.

Steve Westfall