[B-Greek] Gal 2:16 OU ... EAN MH

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 23:19:49 EDT 2005

Gal 2:16 OU DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS EX ERGWN NOMOU EAN MH DIA PISTEWS CRISTOU
IHSOU
 Mostly is translated in negative expression as in KJV:

*'not justified by works of law, but only through faith'*

1. My question one is:

If I rearrange it as *'justified not by works of law ',*
 I am making addition effect which is not in Greek?

2. My question two is:
After changing it into active from passive voice in English,
**
*'Works of the law do not justify a person, except through faith.'*
 then render it in positive expression
** *'one is justified out-of the works of law through faith' *
*or 'works of law justifies a person through faith'. *Does Gk allow me to do
this?

 I would appreciate if you can enlighten me,
 Oun Kwon

P.S.

Please note that I myself am not bogged down in 'faith vs. works' issue.
 This much I am convinced that 'works of law' in relation to justification
is completely at different level or concept from 'works' in James which is
actually akin to fruits of the Spirit related to sanctification. Even though
'faith' and 'works' may be said to be complimentary, it is as justification
vis-a-vis sanctification, not both being required for justification.