[B-Greek] 1 John 1:3

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Fri Jul 1 01:19:14 EDT 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:42:01 -0400 Oun Kwon <kwonbbl at gmail.com> writes:
> Does DE rather have sense of 'yes, indeed' here?
>
> Oun Kwon.
>
> On 6/30/05, kgraham0938 at comcast.net
>
> >...I would not translate DE as 'but' but probably 'and' so I would

> translate as  and our fellowship is also with the Father and with
> the
> his Son Jesus Christ.

_______________

It would seem to be some such meaning.  B. F. Westcott commented on this
KAI hH KOIN. DE . . .] et societas nostra sit V., Aug., yea and our
fellowship … The connecting particles (KAI . . . DE) and the possessive
pronoun (hH K. hH hHMETERA) are both emphatic. The particles lay stress
on the characteristics of the fellowship which are to be brought forward:
the possessive in place of the personal pronoun marks that which
peculiarly distinguishes Christians rather than simply that which they
enjoy. ‘And the fellowship itself in fact to which we call you, the
fellowship which is truly Christian fellowship, &c.’
For KAI . . . DE compare John 6:51; 8:16, 8:17; 15:27; 3 John 12. The
combination occurs sparingly throughout the N. T. The DE serves as the
conjunction, while KAI emphasises the words to which it is attached.
The Epistles of St. John: The Greek text with notes and essays. 1902 (B.
F. Westcott, Ed.) (4th ed.) (Page 12). London; New York: Macmillan.

george
gfsomsel