[B-Greek] Matt.19:9

Mark H. Bahr koine at ev1.net
Tue Jun 17 00:47:12 EDT 2003

> Hello all, Steven Estes here, I have a quesion, In Matt.19:9 is the
adultery
> being committed a continuous act (continuous action) or a one time event.
> There are some "scholars" that deny that it is continous action. Is there
really
> any doubt that it is continous action, thus an ongoing event? Thanks,
Steven
> Estes

Greek:
LEGW DE hUMIN hOTI hOS AN APOLUSHi TEN GUNAIKA AUTOU MH EPI PORNEIAi KAI
GAMHSHi ALLHN MOICATAI

As long as the prior two hypothetical (as conveyed by the Subjunctive mood)
conditions--unlawful divorce and then remarriage--are true, then the
adultery is being committed.  It has to do with the way I interpret the
aspect of the verbs involved.  It appears that those scholars to whom you
referred may be making the conditional clauses the controlling, or prominent
information.  With this view, since they are in the Aorist tense form
(therefore perfective aspect--utilizing Porter terminology), it would not
likely take on a continuous idea.  However, the event idea of adultery is in
the apodosis and carries natural prominence.  The fact that it is of an
imperfective aspect (while the conditionals are perfective aspect--utilizing
Porter terminology) brings that idea to the foreground as well.  That is not
to say that the ideas of divorce and remarriage take on the imperfective
aspect.  Rather, we might say: such that there is divorce and in that
context, remarriage, then there is adultery being committed.  This is, as
always, open to correction and refinement.  I always wish to be sharpened.

Mark Bahr
The Grace Center for Biblical and Theological Studies
Dallas, TX