[B-Greek] Gen 32:30 GOT (32:29 in English) anddemonstrative

Trevor Peterson 06PETERSON at cua.edu
Wed Jan 29 12:07:53 EST 2003

>===== Original Message From Albert Pietersma <albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca>
=====
>I would construe the Hebrew as: WHY THIS: YOU ASK FOR MY NAME. If that is
correct,
>the intended meaning of the Greek is likely: WHY IS IT THAT YOU ASK NAME.

Or perhaps there was no intended meaning per se, at least not in the sense
that a Greek signifier with a predictable signified was being generated.
Perhaps it was simply an attempt to preserve the wording of the Hebrew text,
without particular regard for what would sound natural in Greek. (I seem to
remember seeing that sort of thing happen in one or two English translations
:-)

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics