[B-Greek] Gen 32:30 GOT (32:29 in English) and demonstrative

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Wed Jan 29 08:55:44 EST 2003

> Could someone tell me whether there's any native Greek reason for the
> construction that appears (among other places) in Gen 32:30:
>
> hINA TI TOUTO ERWTAiS TO ONOMA MOU
>
> In other words, is this just a case of the translator rendering
> more or less
> word-for-word and thereby producing a construction that would
> never occur in
> Greek otherwise? Or can the demonstrative actually be understood to fit in
> terms of normal Greek grammar?
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

In a similar construction in Num 11:20, the Greek translator left out the
demonstrative, probably understanding it as just a strengthening of the
"Why".
As you say, it looks like a very literal translation here in Gen 32, so it
is probably borderline Greek. Could it be understood as: "Why are you asking
this (thing), i.e., my name?
It seems too odd to me to construe it directly with TO hONOMA MOU.

Iver Larsen