Nicene Creed

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Jan 18 09:53:28 EST 2003

Forwarded for George Somsel <Polycarp66 at aol.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 08:24:11 EST

In a message dated 1/18/2003 7:45:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
spuluka at hotmail.com writes:

>I'm working my way through CFD Moule's book "The Holy Spirit" (Mowbrey,
>1978) for a class this semester. On page 43 in discussing the Nicene creed
>statement:
>
>KAI EIS TO PNEUMA TO AGION,
>TO KURION, TO ZWOPOION,
>TO EK TOU PATROS EKPOREUOMENON,
>TO SUN PATRI KAI GIW
>SUMPROSKUNOUMENON KAI SUNDOXAZOMENON,
>TO LALHSAN DIA TWN PROFHTWN.
>
>The Greek text and punctuation here is from the Greek Orthodox liturgical
>tradition, Moule does not supply the Greek but offers the following as a
>"literal" translation.
>
>...also in the Holy Spirit,
>which is Lord,
>which makes alive,
>which proceeds from the Father
>which is worshipped and glorified with the Father and the Son,
>which spoke through the prophets.
>
>My question regards the  sense Moule is making of the article.  I don't
>understand how we get to a sense of "which" in this construction.  I've
>re-read the chapters on the article in both Wallace and the "big" Robertson,
>but this translation seems a stretch to me, not a literal one.  But I know
>enough about Moule and his ability with Greek that I don't want to dismiss
>it.
>
>I'm familiar with the translation of this same section of Greek into Old
>Church Slavonic from the 9th century.  This is my liturgical tradition.  The
>interesting part here is that, like most slavic languages, OCS has no
>articles.  So if the translators understand a Greek article as something
>other than a specifier, they must supply a word in the translation,
>otherwise the article drops out.  In this case the article drops from the
>translation.  If they understood this in the sense of "which" they would
>likely have supplied a KAK in the translation.
>
>In short, I don't understand what in this construction supports the
>translation of the article as "which."  But I'm assuming there IS something
>that does.  Thanks for your help.

Like you I would hesitate to contradict C.F.D. Moule regarding Greek (BTW:
should the "GIW" not be hUIW(i)?)

I would understand TO ZWiOPOION as a pres. act neut acc part of ZWiOPOIEW
the natural tendency would be to understand TO KURION as being parallel,
but this is not a participle.  I would therefore translate

"and in the Holy Spirit,
who enlivens the Lord,
who procedes from the Father,
who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and commonly glorified,
who spoke through the prophets . . ."

Regarding ZWiPOION cf. 1 Pet 3.18 where the pass part is used

hOTI XRISTOS hAPAC PERI hAMARTIWN EPAQEN, DIKAIOS hUPER ADIKWN, hINA hUMAS
PROSAGAGHi TWi QEWi QANATWQEIS MEN SARKI ZWiOPOIHQEIS DE PNEUMATI

gfsomsel