LSJ on sale

hefin jones hefinjones at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 17 17:30:11 EST 2003

As a little-KOINEgreek I have ALWAYS found it instructive to look at LSJ,
and Moulton-Milligan whenever I have been doing serious exegesis. BDAG and
its predecessors gave historical/secular uses in very condensed form. L&N
has its strengths, but is completely uninformative about secular greek. The
fact is a lexicographer can cut the semantic range of a given word in a
number of ways, and comparing entries in BDAG with LSJ can be enlightening.
The emphasis on secular greek also opens up interpretive possibilities which
"Biblical lexicography" tend to skew. I thought our brief thread on BAPTIZW
from a couple of months back might be illustrative of what can be learnt
from perusing what is admittedly a dated tool, whose lexical semantics might
not be fully up to scratch, but which is a vast compendium of data.

Hefin Jones
BD Student Moore College, Sydney