[B-Greek] Attributive genitives

Malcolm Ross Malcolm.Ross at anu.edu.au
Sun Feb 9 19:38:27 EST 2003

I am curious about the genitives in the following phrases from the
verses quoted below: (1) KATA PNEUMA AGIWSUNHS in Romans 1:4 and (2)
EIS UPAKOHN PISTEWS in Romans 1:5. They appear to be attributive
genitives, i.e. genitives which describe the noun upon which they are
dependent. This means essentially that the reader is left to figure
out/infer the relationship between this noun and its dependent
genitive, and this is reflected in variation among English
translations. In the case of (2):

obedience that comes from faith (NIV)
trust-grounded obedience (CJV)
obedience to the faith (NKJV, Cassirer)
obedience of faith (NRSV)
that they will believe and obey him (NLT)

Romans 1:4
TOU ORISQENTOS UIOU EN DUNAMEI KATA PNEUMA AGIWSUNHS EX ANASTASEWS NEKRWN
'and who through the Spirit of holiness was declared with power to be
the Son of God , by his resurrection from the dead' (NIV)

Romans 1:5
ELABOMEN CARIN KAI APOSTOLHN EIS UPAKOHN PISTEWS EN PASIN TOIS EQNESIN
'we received grace and apostleship to call people from among all the
Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith.'

My questions are:

a) is my interpretation of the grammar correct, i.e. these are
attributive genitives?

b) is there any work which provides guidance on the interpretation of
such genitives?

Malcolm Ross
--
Dr Malcolm D. Ross