Rom 3:24 EN CRISTWi IHSOU

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Tue May 28 08:37:28 EDT 2002

In a message dated 5/26/2002 11:19:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rbsads at aol.com writes:

Rom 3:24 DIKAIOUMENOI DWREAN THi AUTOU CARITI DIA THS APOLUTRWSEWS THS EN
CRISTWi IHSOU.

This use of EN CRISTWi seemed interesting to me. I am somewhat aware that
Paul uses the phrase in multiple ways, but is it typical to refer to Jesus
as in Christ?

The translations do not seem to render the phrase in English with any
special significance. But surely Paul had some intention with the phrase?

I searched the archives, expecting to find something of a discussion of EN
CRISTWi.  The search did not find any discussion of the phrase either in
general or specifically as IHSOUS EN CRISTWi.
__________________

Just one additional note to the discussion.  I can't help but think that your
problem with this might stem from seeing the verse wrongly.  In your
quotation you correctly note that the reading is THS EN CRISTWi IHSOU.  Yet
when you ask your question you state "is it typical to refer to Jesus as in
Christ?" and state that you had searched the archives to find IHSOUS EN
CRISTWi.  If this is the problem,  take a closer look at the passage -- we
all do that from time to time.

gfsomsel

[Note: this message has been heavily edited to remove MIME/HTML
formatting.  List-members are reminded that B-Greek protocol
requires that messages sent to the list be formatted ONLY in
plain-text ASCII formatting in order to save bandwidth and to facilitate
reading messages in the digests and list archives. --cwc]