Books for Beginners

hefin jones hefinjones at hotmail.com
Fri May 17 22:30:35 EDT 2002

Hi

It seems that Mounce has carried all before it in the "Books for Beginners"
stakes...  May I put my two pennies worth in? Maybe people in the US have
different expectations of what any book is meant to do but I find Mounce
like many other US texts unbelieveably verbose. If brevity is more your
thing try Wenham "Elements of NT Greek" CUP - if you wait long enough you
might try Jeremy Duff's re-write of Wenham. If like me you dislike
traditional grammar then try John Dobson's "Learn NT Greek".

The top two tips: (1) find a friend to learn it with (2) Learn vocab.
paradigms (both nominal and verbal) and translate all at once, even if the
translations are a mess to begin with!

Hefin Jones

Moore College, Sydney.