hOS GE in Rom 8.32

Steven Lo Vullo slovullo at mac.com
Mon Mar 25 22:21:25 EST 2002

on 3/25/02 7:37 PM, Polycarp66 at aol.com at Polycarp66 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/25/2002 12:45:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> slovullo at mac.com writes:
>
>> Who can help me better understand the usage of GE, not only in this verse,
>> but overall? What does it emphasize?  The preceding word? May it be construed
>> with the verb as an adverbial?
> ______________
>
> According to BGAD, BDAG and LSJ, it emphasizes the word it follows (In this
> case hOS).

Thanks, George, for your reply.

Yes, my understanding also was that GE emphasized the word it follows. And,
as you indicate, BDAG affirms this when it says, "enclit. particle, appended
to the word or words it refers to." What confused me in the entry, though,
was the specific treatment of Rom 8.32. Under a.B (small a, beta), GE is
designated "intensive." Then, before the citing of Rom 8.32, it is given the
gloss "even." Rom 8.32 is then cited in the Greek, with the following
translation: "who did not spare even his own son." It seems here to indicate
that GE intensifies TOU IDIOU hUIOU. But this follows GE. Hence my
confusion. I'm still wondering what to make of that.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
slovullo at mac.com