ginwskw/gnosis

Mark Wilson emory2oo2 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 4 00:13:13 EDT 2001

Valencia:

You asked:

----
>Is it correct that gnosis is the substitive for ginwskw? As in,
>ginwskw is
>the verb to know, and gnosis is the thing known.
-----

Yes.
GNWSIS is a substantive, meaning "knowledge," or "that which is known."
I suppose this would correspond to an active sense and passive sense.

You then asked:

----
Is there a substitive
>for
>the greek verb oida, like gnosis is for ginwskw?
----

OIDA comes from an old Greek root VID- ... from which
we get "video." I believe the substantive for OIDA would
be EIDOS. This word is found in the GNT meaning: appearance,
that which strikes the eye.

Finally, you asked:

-----
John never
>used the substitive for ginwskw, is this correct?
----

I do not have a search engine. I am not aware of his
using GNWSIS, but I can not speak to that.

Mark Wilson