hEWS hOU in 2Pt 1:19

Mike Sangrey msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Fri Aug 31 16:58:31 EDT 2001

c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net> said:
> This is a good example of why translation isn't the key to
> understanding NT Greek. The Greek constituent hEWS hOU does not have
> the same logical function as the English gloss "do . . . until."

And this is why translation is a LOT more than just word glossing.

And, more apropos to BGreek, why glossing words (which I suspect
is what you meant to say) does NOT give a full understanding of
the meaning of the Greek.  There's more going on in Greek (or
any language for that matter) than just the streaming of words.
--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."