Hebrew New Testament

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Aug 16 20:28:19 EDT 2001

At 5:37 PM -0400 8/16/01, Lamont Norman wrote:
>I fear that I am in way over my head on this but I want to know anyway.
>Someone has approached me recently with the idea that the New Testament
>was orignally written in Hebrew.  They also argued that Constantine had
>destroyed the original Hebrew manuscripts and killed off all supporters of
>the Hebrew texts.  Can someone please help me with this?  I would like to
>know what the arguments for and against are - if there are any.  I would
>like to know references so that I can evaluate the arguments as best I
>can.

While there is a tradition that the gospel of Matthew may have originally
been written in Hebrew (or Aramaic, depending on how one understands the
phrase being interpreted), there is NO tradition about the whole NT
originally being Hebrew. The person initiating the query with you was
evidently poorly informed.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com