Allen, Vox Graeca

Randall Buth ButhFam at compuserve.com
Tue Aug 14 06:58:27 EDT 2001

Message text written by "B. Ward Powers"
>Randall, in closing: what do you think of "Vox Graeca" by W. Sidney Allen
>(Cambridge U.P., 1968/1974)?

I think highly of it and labelled one of the pronunciation systems in my
notes with the Demo CD as "Allen-Daitz". Allen: as author of the book with
reconstructed Attic, and Daitz: as someone who recorded quite a bit of
material
in that "dialect".

UCLA in the early 80s made students read with that system no matter what
they came in with (for me personally, that meant Allen replacing 'modern'
which had pushed out Erasmian). I'm out of contact and don't know what
they're
doing today.
It's maybe the most authentic way to read Homer, but it still sounds too
stuffy
in my ears. I assume that Koine speakers read the ancients with their own
Koine
pronunciation, and I've been following suit. Fluency is hard part.

ERRWSO
Randall Buth
EN IEROSOLYMOIS