John 20:17

Alan B. Thomas a_b_thomas at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 16:57:52 EDT 2001

Concerning this...

John 20:17, MH MOU hAPTOU.

> I heard a lecturer
> once say that it could also be translated "Do not
> detain me". I find this
> rather an odd translation. Can the text be properly
> translated "Do not
> detain me"? Does HAPTW carry this meaning at all?

There may be two questions here. I do believe that
hAPTW was used in the sense of "lay hold of people
in order to hinder them from carrying out some task."

But I am not sure hAPTW itself conveys that idea. I
think rather what you might have is the "act of
grabbing or holding someone." If this act of
grabbing or holding "detained" someone, that
I think would depend upon the actions and intent
of the one being held.

In the passage you cite, there appears to be
insufficient context to lean one way or the other.

=====
Sincerely,

Alan B. Thomas

"Reality is only temporary."