AGANAKTEW in Mk 10:14

clayton stirling bartholomew c.s.bartholomew at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 27 01:12:47 EDT 2000

Better not rely on an English translation when the topic is Jesus getting
angry. C. Spicq (vol 1 page 7) has this comment on AGANAKTEW: "In the
Gospels, AGANAKTEW never means indignation or displeasure but anger." Spicq
qualifies this in a foot note where he states that Matt 26:8 is an
exception.

Most of the widely used English versions  rendering it "indignant."
Furthermore when I performed a NT search on AGANAKTEW and looked at how it
was rendered in the RSV, NIV, NASB I found that it was translated as
indignant nearly every time and never as "anger." The *NRSV broke the
pattern by rendering it as anger repeatedly.

What we see here in the rendering of AGANAKTEW in Mk 10:14 is the tendency
of the English speaking world to try and make Jesus conform to the
parameters of a "Nice Person." Translations produced by committees of very
polite decent upper middle class solid citizens with two kids in private
colleges and a BMW or two in the garage are always going to get it wrong
when they deal with things that are outside of their personal experience.
Most of what Jesus did and said is outside their personal experience.

All the more reason to read the NT in Greek.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*NRSV

I once had a very nice Oxford edition NRSV genuine leather, gilded pages
which I picked up new at HalfPrice Books for $9.98. I kept if for a while
and then gave it away to a  feminist. I had no use for it.