John 3:32

david reigle reigles at paonline.com
Tue Nov 16 11:35:34 EST 1999

Dear Friends,

I am wondering about the meaning of the tenses in John 3:32
hO hEWRAKEN KAI HKOUSEN
I don't know what to make (if anything) of the contrast of the
perfect with the aorist here, neither relative time nor aspect seem to
make sense to me here.   Some people I have read claim a
confusion of tenses occurred here.  Was that a common thing?
Were the Greek speakers of this time becoming "lax" in the way
they used their tenses, or was the author making some distinction
by using these tenses.  Thank you for your help.
Dave Reigle
Elizabethtown, Pa.
reigles at paonline.com