Luke 6:1

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Jan 29 09:50:38 EST 1999

At 8:37 AM +0000 1/29/99, Jim West wrote:
>At 07:21 AM 1/29/99 -0600, you wrote:
>
>Actually, the "second sabbath" makes perfect sense and describes, quite
>simply, the fact that in the Jewish calendar it is possible for two sabbaths
>to fall in one week.  I.e., the regular sabbath and occasionally a special
>sabbath (like Yom Kippur or Passover).  Obviously, when a sabbath like
>passover occurs on a Wednesday or such, there are 2 sabbath's in the week.
>
>See the very thorough discussion in Strack-Billerbeck's Kommentar, vol 2, p.
>158.

A "second sabbath" may be all well and good, Jim, but what's a
"second-first" sabbath? The word is not DEUTERWi but DEUTEROPRWTWi.

Or are you arguing that for DEUTEROPRWTWi we should substitute DEUTERWi? If
I understand what the apparatus criticus in UBS4 is saying, it is only VERY
LATE MSS that even display DEUTERWi here.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cconrad at yancey.main.nc.us